Mark S. Kjolhaug
Natural Resource Specialist / Professional Wetland Scientist
Owner and President, Kjolhaug Environmental Services
Mark Kjolhaug holds over 25 years of combined Wildlife Research, Environmental Studies Teaching, Natural Resources Consulting, and Wetland Management experience. He founded Kjolhaug Environmental Services Company, Inc. in 1997. Mark is a Certified Wetland Scientist (#000845), and past President and Board Member of the Wetland Delineators Association. He holds current memberships in the Society for Ecological Restoration, the Minnesota Chapter of the Wildlife Society, the Minnesota Wetland Professionals Association, and the Society of Wetland Scientists.
Resumé: Mark S. Kjolhaug (PDF Download)
Melissa A. Lauterbach-Barrett
Wetland Scientist / Soil Scientist
Melissa Barrett has a BS in Soil Science from North Dakota State University and an MS in Soil Science (Soil Morphology and Genesis) from Iowa State University. Before moving back to her home state of Minnesota in 2004, she worked as an Environmental Specialist Senior for both the Iowa Department of Public Health and Iowa Department of Transportation.
Melissa is a Minnesota Licensed Professional Soil Scientist, a Minnesota Wetland Professional Certified, and a Minnesota Master Naturalist.
In her 12+ years at Kjolhaug, Melissa has worked – and continues to work – in all services areas. More recently she has added Development Ecologist services working with developers and Home Owner Associations (HOAs) to prepare development stewardship plans, annual budgets and management/monitoring plans, and vegetation management coordination.
- M.S. Geographic Information Sciences and Technology (Thesis topic: vegetation identification using remote sensing) – University of Southern California
- B.S. Botany and Zoology (Minor Microbiology) – North Dakota State University
- Previously worked on monitoring projects related to aquatic invasive species, shallow lakes, salmonid spawning habitat, invertebrates, and wetlands.
- Wetland delineations, resource mapping with GIS/GPS/UAS, vegetative restoration monitoring
- Minnesota Certified Wetland Delineator; Member of Minnesota Wetland Professionals Association
Wetland Ecologist / Soil Specialist
- B.S. Fisheries, Wildlife and Conservation Biology – University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Published research at UMN related to soil development and restoration
- Previously worked with watershed district monitoring invasive aquatic species
- Wetland delineations, natural resource inventories, comprehensive soil & hydrology studies
- Minnesota Wetland Professional Certified; Member of Minnesota Wetland Professionals Association
Senior Environmental Scientist
- B.S. Environmental Science; Minor in Biology from University of Wisconsin-River Falls
- 12+ years of environmental consulting experience in the Midwest, primarily in Minnesota
- Specializes in: wetland delineation, serving as a Wetland Conservation Act Local Government Unit (LGU) for multiple cities, wetland permitting, mitigation bank creations, mitigation draft prospectus and prospectus writing, wetland assessments, phase I environmental site assessments, plant and animal identification, tree identification and health/condition assessments, well monitoring, post wetland restoration monitoring, prairie and wetland restoration, avian and bat surveys, and threatened and endangered species surveys/monitoring.
- Member of Minnesota Wetland Professionals Association, Certified Arborist, MN DNR Tree Inspector
Mary Clare McAleer
Junior Wetland Delineator
- B.S. Environmental Science, Policy, and Management (Minors in Soil Science and Water Science)- University of Minnesota
- Previously a Soil Conservationist with USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service, working with farmers to implement conservation practices into their operations.
- Facilitator of MN350’s Regenerative Agriculture group advocating for policies to support a climate-resilient food system.